Thursday, December 11, 2008

CRAZY FUN!




For Thanksgiving we went with our friends to a couple of cabins in the mountains. It was so, so fun with all 22 of us. We had 8 adults and 14 kids running around. It was FANTASTIC! We arrived Wednesday night and stayed up way to late playing board games. I learned I love the game Blockus. If you've never played it, it's totally fun....like Tetris fun (for all you Tetris fans out there!) That night, Olivia needed to poop in the middle of the night, but took ALL NIGHT to do it. After staying up with my friends until almost 1:00 am, Olivia woke at 2:00 am, and didn't go back to sleep until 6:45 am after she FINALLY pooped. Everyone was awake at 7:30 am and it was time to start the turkey. Needless to say, I was very, very tired.

On Thanksgiving day, the weather was pretty mild. A little on the cold side, but no snow. The boys headed to town to shop (I know, all these grown men wanting to go shop together. It was scary!) They came home with water, paper towels, and other provisions we had either forgotten, or didn't have enough. It was a very boring assortment of things. I was quite disappointed that they didn't come back with something more exciting...like a present for me! The girls worked on turkey, rolls, and all the other meal items. It was very interesting to cook without some basic items like a whisk! We weren't sure exactly what the cabins would have, but we assumed all the utensils needed would be there. NOPE! I was making gravy with the whisk from Chas' mixer. It was quite interesting.

The kids loved the fact all the grown-ups were busy, because they were able to play in the hot tub for a while. It was like their own personal swimming pool. They had tons of fun, and were mad when it was time to get out.



Sarah didn't want to go in the hot tub, she was too cold.




We had a YUMMY Thanksgiving dinner, and stuffed ourselves thoroughly. Of course, we had way too much food, but every bite was worth the pain endured later.


MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM......TURKEY!

Thursday night, I tried to play games, but I was too tired and cranky to enjoy it much. I was a little on the snippy side, so I finally left to go get some sleep. I'm sorry I was so cranky people!

Friday morning we crawled out of our beds way too early because the children think they need to be up with the sun...and sure enough...the ground was covered with snow! The kids ate breakfast, and were out to go sledding and enjoy the snow for as long as possible. We found out Olivia is a snow bunny, and loved every minute of it. I'll have to post those pictures later, because we had a few technical difficulties and I need to gather pictures from the other families.

Friday was a great lazy day of playing in snow, reading, going for walks, or whatever we felt like. By the way, I did not take a nap...I was reading my book! We stayed up late playing card games and I even won a couple of times. I think Kirk even won a hand or two. (Which is good for him, because he doesn't like card games)






Saturday morning, it was time to leave. My children were all having meltdowns, and needed naps, but overall the clean-up and pack-up was pretty smooth. We had a crying, screaming, "I need to go potty!" drive home, but that couldn't dampen the wonderful time we had with our friends. I'm so grateful for such great friends, and look forward to many more adventures with
them!





4 comments:

Seth Jenson said...

Wow, what a fun way to spend Thanksgiving!!

Gilbrides said...

That sounds so fantastic. I LOVE staying in cabins with frinds. It is such fun. I love that the adults get to socialize while all the kids run around playing together---aaahhh, good times! I am so glad you had such a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Mel said...

Looks like a wild Thanksgiving! Ours was very quiet this year-kind of weird!

Dottie said...

It was quiet because I wasn't there to make all kinds of noise. It's OK, I know I'm the loudest! Not to mention my three quiet and demure girls to liven things up!