Monday, April 19, 2010

Happy Birthday Olivia


I cannot believe my little baby is 3 years old already! Every day she tells me all about how big she is and she's NOT a baby anymore.

I had a lot of fun planning her birthday this year, because she is soooooo into The Little Mermaid. It's always fun when you know exactly what theme to use. So, this is how it started and what happened.

I decided that my children have too many toys, and since I had so much "resting" time on my hands, I decided to make her some things she could really use. I started with her bedroom. I made her a new blanket for her bed and lots of pillows. (I even found some Ariel sheets on ebay) My very good friend came over to help me paint Olivia's room purple (her favorite color) Actually, because of my surgery she did most of the work and I was grateful, because her room was still brown and green from the previous owners and I did not want to put her cute new bedding in a brown room. Grandma Smith sent a gift card, and I used it to buy her new lime green curtains. I think it turned out so cute!

The blanket is made from fleece and I did it "rag quilt" style. Luckily, I had Izabella to cut all the fringe for me!

I also made a matching pillow case.


After making all the bedding, I had enough fabric left to make a nightgown for Olivia, and a matching nightgown and blanket for her American Girl Doll, Molly.







Because Olivia's birthday was on a Sunday this year, she kind of had a birthday weekend. Friday night I set up her whole room and let her open her nightgown and Molly's nightgown and blanket.


She was super excited.

Saturday was her party. I had so much fun making all her gifts, I couldn't wait to let her start opening them.

The first present was her outfit to wear to her party. I made the pants from some Ariel fabric. Then, I used some iron-on transfer paper to put Ariel on her shirt. I found some flowers at the dollar store, and then sewed them to a barrette. I then used modge podge to put an Ariel image on a large button and added that as the center of the flower. I did the same thing for the flower on her flip flops. I then attached the flower to the front of the flip flops so she could have Ariel shoes. She loved it!




Of course, I made a matching outfit for Molly.



I also made her another outfit from an old pair of jeans I cut off and added a ruffle and then made a matching shirt. Plus, I made another matching outfit for Molly.







For the next outfit, I used iron-on transfer paper again and an old pair of jeans. I cut the jeans off and then added the purple Ariel ruffle. The jewelry was a gift from one of her friends.



Not pictured:

1. I used iron-on transfer paper and small images from "The Little Mermaid Movie" and using plain colored panties, made her lots of Ariel panties. Now she doesn't have to cry when she gets dressed in the morning because she always has plenty.

2. Using the same purple fabric I used for the skirt, I made a dress for Olivia and a matching dress for Molly. (I'll have to snap a picture next time she wears it)

3. I used the same purple fabric to make one more shirt, and then made her a denim "poodle" skirt, but instead of a poodle I used an Ariel iron-on. She loves to twirl in her "twirly skirt" (again, I'll have to snap a picture next time)

4. I also made some purple flip flops just like the pink ones pictured above

5. I made a few more t-shirts using the iron-on transfer paper.

Needless to say, Olivia has plenty of Ariel apparel now! (and it was so fun making it)

OK, on to the party. This year we went to Meadowood Recreation Center. The center provides a room for you to use, and they have this great gymnastics room that during a birthday party they let the kids play on all the equipment. Plus, they have a big jumpy castle that they also have set up for the kids. It's an amazing, energetic, fun time for all!



The Guest List:










Look! We both have Ariel shirts!

Playing in the Gym













Opening presents and having cake and ice cream:








This year Olivia's cake was, of course, Ariel themed. In trying to keep with my "things she can use" ideas, I found a fantastic Ariel nightlight to use for the cake topper. I just coiled up the cord, covered it with foil and cut a hole in the cake to put the the bottom of the light (with the coiled cord) inside, and then proceeded to cover it with frosting. You can't tell, but I used three different shades of blue to make the "water" and then you have the coral reef life. It was a fun cake to decorate!




I think Olivia really liked it!


After all the partying, we came home to open gifts from Grandma and Grandpa. They gave her a beautiful Ariel Princess nightgown and an Ariel dress up outfit complete with shoes!


Sunday morning finally came (her real birthday) and Mommy and Daddy had one more surprise for Olivia. A baby Ariel that can "swim" with Olivia during all the baths she takes everyday while pretending that she is a real mermaid.


4 comments:

stewbert said...

Wow Dottie! That all looks SO good, you crafty, talented lady you!

Happy birthday Olivia!

Gilbrides said...

AMAZING!!! All of it! You were very busy and very crafty! I love all her clothes and her matching doll clothes. You are so talented! I also LOVE the cake. You are always amazing me with your cakes--great job! What a fun birthday! Happy Birthday Olivia. You really are such a big girl now!

So bittersweet--such a cute big girl, but no more baby.

TammaRamma said...

Wow, you make me tired just reading this! That's awesome that you made all those things! My kids have way too many toys too, it's always a challange, especaiallly cuz their birthdays are so close to Christmas.

Desert Rats said...

She's about as cute as a cholla! What is a cholla you ask? Well, find out! GO HERE - http://www.cactusandyuccarebel.blogspot.com/

Please add our blog under your blog list here. Thanks!!